What Is Radon?
Radon is element #86, a carcinogenic gas that occurs from
the radioactive decay of radium. You
cannot see, smell or taste radon, yet it is by far the most dangerous indoor environmental
pollutant found in homes. Regardless of
age or style of your home, if radium is present in the soil below, your home
may be unsafe to live in. Exposure to
radon is a very serious health threat.
According to the EPA, homes located in the Midwest, including Omaha are
more likely to have high radon levels than in any other area of the United
States. Professional House Doctors, Inc
What Are The Health Effects?
Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer in
non-smokers. Radon kills over 21,000
people every year in America. That is
over 57 deaths per day! The most
susceptible are young children, smokers, people that spend most of their time
indoors and the elderly. The good news
is radon deaths are preventable.
How Does Radon Enter Our Home?
If radon is present in the soil that surrounds your home,
the radon will be drawn into the basement by the negative pressure found in the
lower levels of all structures. This
drawing effect pulls radon into the home and is then generally distributed
throughout the house by the heating and cooling system and by what is known as
the "Stack Effect".
How Do I Know If My Family Is Safe?
The only way to know is to test. The EPA recommends that every home in America be tested as soon
as possible. The EPA states, "You
should fix your home if it tests at 4.0 pico-curies per liter (pCi/L) or
higher. If your home's test is between
2 to 4 pCi/L, you should seriously consider fixing it". The lower your family's exposure to radon,
the safer your family is.